Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lubbock or leave it

Natalie Maines didn't make up that nifty phrase. People from Lubbock have been saying that forever. Being from Lubbock myself, I am kind of embarrassed that she is too. What she recently said about patriotism (and the president, for that matter) was really stupid. It doesn't sound like she thinks about what she's going to say before she says it. It's certainly not a way to garner respect from the American public.

I listened to the song "Lubbock or Leave it" and now I think that she is even more misguided. She says that people in Lubbock are ignorant. I think it's the other way around.

I don't live there anymore, but Lubbock is a great city. The people are extremely friendly everywhere you go and there are nice parks all over town. Also, it's easy to get around in and it has an excellent university. There are a lot of churches there but I think that shows wisdom, not ignorance. People are spiritual and want to seek God. I think that's awesome.

My husband and I went back for my 10 year high school reunion and he LOVED it. He says that he wants to move there. The land out there has a very unique beauty to it. It is so flat that you can see until the earth curves. And the sky is HUGE. The sunsets and the thunderstorms are the most beautiful in the world. One thing about Lubbock, though, is that the air is really dry. It sucks the moisture right out of your skin. You have to use a lot of lotion and chapstick. And drink a lot of water.

No comments: